January 13, 2012

The Best Pessimist - I Just Want To Be Your Everything


Alright, before you get all melodramatic about the album title, let me clarify that this is NOT a love-related, (Brian Adam's) Everything I Do-esque album. Far from it, this can actually be a very sad, yet very beautiful instrumental album.

Before jumping into the review, this album was presented to me by a friend of mine in the most awkward of ways: "Dude, do you know the best pessimist?" "No clue, is he from around here?", and hell, I never thought that he would show me an artist that I would actually become fond of. So I thank thee!

Anyway, this is one of those records that doesn't hit you immediately (at least in some tracks), but has some really heart-felt songs. The Best Pessimist really builds great sounding and atmospheric ambiances with really simple, singable and appealing melodies. Throughout the whole album, you can actually hear a theme or a storyline being told within each measure, chord and note. Yes, yes, very (un)poetic of me, but I really do fancy alot theme-based instrumental albums and this - in my humble opinion - is one of them.

So, in the general hearing of things, the album has a great deal of mixed feelings: some are sad and mellow, others quite haunting and esoteric, others are lullaby-ish and calming and others are just a bit of all worlds. I especially do like the way it finishes, as the song "I" is a very powerful way to end this storyline that goes in my head. And no, I'm not going to tell you about it...you just hear it and think/imagine your own story. It's alot more fun that way.

Before giving my final praises, and in a sidenote, The Best Pessimist is literally a one-man show, so props to Sergey Lunev for creating such an excellent sounding album with great musical landscapes and a blend of very diverse sounds and styles. Oh and look at that, final praises made.

No comments:

Post a Comment